Los Potrillos Mezcal from Zacatecas is yet another clear example of how the denomination of Origin in Mexico have still a long road to go.
Produced just north of Tequila Jalisco this Agave spirits is made with a raw material and means of production proper to what we have come to know as tequila.
Nevertheless this tasty spirit is made in the state of Zacatecas hence the certification of Mezcal and not tequila.
So yes, the industry is full of loopholes, we where lucky to have this one in our hands!
At a very reasonable price, this agave spirit helps us open up a bit more, have a wider perception of all things agave and enjoy ourselves while doing it!
Hacienda de Bañuelos was founded in 1915 and is a fourth generation taberna (distillery). The Bañuelos family is leading the revival of mezcal production in the Mexican state of Zacatecas which is immediately to the north of Jalisco. Southern Zacatecas has a particular mineral driven terroir that shines in all of the Hacienda de Bañuelos expressions.
- Master Distiller Jaime Bañuelos
- State: Zacatecas, from the Bolaños Region at 1665meters above see level
- Agave Variety : Tequilana Weber Blue
- Steam cooked for 24h ( Low pressure) in stainless steel autoclave
- Type of Grinding: Roller Mill
- Fermentation style: Stainless Steel without fiber and with natural wild yeast
- Type of distillation: Stainless steel and cooler with copper coil alembic
- Volume: 700 ml
- Double distillation at 40.4°Alc